Remember Vicks VapoRub? Its unique scent — a mix of eucalyptus oil, menthol, and camphor – is part of our collective childhood memory. Vicks was mom’s go-to when you had a cough, congestion, or just couldn’t sleep.
Do they even make that stuff anymore? Yes. Yes, they do. And new information on the product shows that its usefulness extends beyond relieving coughs and colds – way beyond. Take a look at the list below of ten ways you could be using your VapoRub. You may find yourself wiping the dust from that jar in your bathroom and putting this healing salve back to use.
1. Relieve headaches and migraines – Vicks can be a great way to combat headache pain. The next time you find yourself reaching for the aspirin, dab some VapoRub onto your temples too. Soothing menthol found in Vicks will cool off your temples and relieve pressure.
2. Soothe those sore muscles – It’s all about the menthol. After a good workout, grab some Vicks and rub it onto any areas that are experiencing soreness. The menthol in VapoRub gives your skin a refreshing cool down, and it can help to improve blood circulation, leading to less sore muscles.
3. Cool down sunburn – When you overindulge in sun soaking, Vicks is a perfect remedy for sunburn’s stinging sensation.
4. Say goodbye to bruises – Vicks is your best friend when it comes to healing bruised skin. Take a dab of VapoRub, mix in a pinch of salt, and rub it onto the bruise. The salve helps dissolve the bruise, returning your skin to normal in no time.
5. Wage war on stretch marks – Let’s face it, stretch marks are the bane of aging and of weight loss or gain. As it turns out, Vicks offers a first line defense against dreaded stretch marks, by preventing them from developing and from standing out. Primary ingredients like eucalyptus oil, cedar leaf oil, petrolatum, camphor, and turpentine oil, work together to keep stretched skin soft and moisture-rich.
6. Put an end to earaches – Got an annoying earache? Try rubbing a small amount of Vicks on a cotton ball. Put the cotton it in your ear for several hours, several times a day. The healing salve will reduce the pain and also prevent infection. Yes, really.
7. Prevent chapped lips – If your lips get dry often, using Vicks VapoRub as a balm is a great way to moisturize and soften them up.
8. Calm cracked heels – Does the skin on your heels get dry and crack? A pedicure may not be in order. Instead of heading to the nail salon, grab some VapoRub and massage it into your heels and feet. If you use the Vicks nightly, you can follow up with rubbing a pumice stone onto your heels to help exfoliate and further soften your skin.
9. Fight toenail fungus – Another potent ingredient in VapoRub is Thymol. Because of its antiseptic, antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, Thymol is great for blocking the growth of fungus. Rub some Vicks on the bed of your nail and toenail to get rid of any fungus.
10. Train man’s best friends – If you have a problem with your pooch marking its territory around the house, VapoRub may be a solution. Take an open container of Vicks and place it in the area your pet tries to mark. The strong scent of VapoRub will deter them from marking the area and help them learn to go to the bathroom outside.
Cover Image: Enriscapes / Shutterstock, Inc.