I’m not a big fan of home remedies. When I’ve got a cold or flu bug, I want Big Pharma and brand names on my side. That said, I do believe in the restorative power of the hot toddy, a steaming, golden, whiskey-based concoction that you can whip up in your own kitchen.
While it’s certainly no cure, the various ingredients in a hot toddy all play a role in at least making you feel better. The whiskey might help you sleep, while the honey and lemon soothe your throat. Ginger is proven to calm upset tummies. Heck, the steam might even help clear your sinuses.
So, the next time you’re feeling under the weather, consider skipping the Nyquil in favor of this glorious amber beverage. Here’s one of my favorite toddy recipes:
- 2 ounces good quality whiskey or bourbon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 4 ounces water
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cube crystallized ginger
- 1 slice fresh lemon as garnish
- Mix together whiskey, water, and lemon juice in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 1 minute, or until steaming hot.
- Stir in honey and drop in the ginger.
- Garnish with lemon.