We’ve all heard the health benefits of superfoods – they can help fight disease and make you feel more energetic. But can these nutrient-packed foods also help you lose weight? Maybe. Studies suggest they can boost your metabolism, which can help trim the pounds.
Try adding these 10 superfoods to your diet if slimming down is on your to-do list:
1. Beans – With one cup of black beans packing 15 grams of protein and 15 grams of filling fiber, you’ll fill up on less and get a great protein punch. Black beans also have flavonoids—antioxidants that help your arteries stay relaxed and pliable.
2. Oats – This breakfast staple has 4.6 grams of metabolism-boosting resistant starch, making oatmeal a great way to start the day. Try using steel-cut oats; they are less processed than traditional oats, so we digest them more slowly and feel full for longer.
3. Broccoli – Packed with fiber, just one cup of cooked broccoli delivers 5 grams of this nutrient. Broccoli also has antioxidants to fight cancer and vitamin C to aid in iron absorption.
4. Avocado – Loaded with healthy fats, avocado keeps you satisfied and helps you absorb other nutrients. Watch the portion, though; they are high in calories and can dampen your weight loss.
5. Brown Rice – Just a half-cup of this whole grain is bursting with fiber and has 1.7 grams of resistant starch. It’s also a top source of magnesium, which your body needs to convert food to energy
6. Salmon – A lean protein, this delicious fish fills you up without adding unhealthy fat. You can also get all the omega-3’s you need in a day with just a 3-ounce serving.
7. Grapefruit – Studies suggest you can lose a pound a week simply by eating a half of a grapefruit before each meal. This citrus fruit is also loaded with vitamin C.
8. Blueberries – The antioxidant properties of dark berries are well known. It’s also true that a 1 cup serving of blueberries provides 4 grams of fiber at just 80 calories.
9. Bananas – These are loaded with all kinds of good fiber, including resistant starch, which will help you slim down.
10. Eggs – Put down that bagel and pick up a high-protein, low-calorie egg (an egg has just 72 calories) to boost weight loss.